Mary Beth Flynn Makic, PhD, RN, CCNS, CCRN-K, FAAN, FNAP FCNS is a professor and specialty director of the Clinical Nurse Specialist Program at University of Colorado College of Nursing, Aurora. Makic is the research scientist at Denver Health and previously held the position of research nurse scientist, critical care, at the University of Colorado Hospital from 2008-2015 and held a clinical nurse specialist position from 1996-2008.
Makic is focused on nursing-driven interventions to optimize outcomes of acute and critically ill patients. She has been a clinical nurse specialist for more than 25 years. She and is recognized as a leader in evidence-based practice publishing and speaking at national forums of the importance for nurses to translate evidence into practice and lead practice change, evidence-based practice (EBP). Her career has been committed to the integration of best evidence and inter-professional initiatives to advance the translation of science into practice. Dr. Makic has been successful in supporting bedside nurses as they implement evidence to improve practice and patient outcomes.
Makic is the editor of highly acclaimed textbooks: Trauma Nursing: Resuscitation through Rehabilitation, 5th edition; and Nursing Diagnosis Handbook: An Evidence-Based Guide to Planning Care, 13th edition. Editor of the textbook, Introduction to Critical Care Nursing, 9th edition. She also was a section editor in the published AACN Procedure Manual for High Acuity, Progressive, and Critical Care, 7th edition.
She recently completed a three-year term on the American Association of Critical-Care Nurses (AACN) board of directors.
Her other affiliations include membership in the National Association of Clinical Nurse Specialists, Sigma Theta Tau International, Society of Critical Care Medicine.
Among her many honors, She was inducted as a Fellow in the American Academy of Nursing in 2012; The National Academies of Practice in 2013, and National Association of Clinical Nurse Specialists in 2019. Makic received the Nightingale Luminary Award from the Central Colorado Area Health and Education Center in 2015, Magnet Nurse of the Year from University of Colorado Hospital in 2014.
Through challenging nurses to critically review evidence to guide practice she has mentored nurses in numerous practice changes and quality improvement initiatives to improve patient care and outcomes.
Makic earned a PhD in nursing at University of Colorado College of Nursing, Aurora, in 2007, a Master of Science in Nursing at University of Maryland School of Nursing, Baltimore, in 1992, and a Bachelor of Science in Nursing from University of Wisconsin School of Nursing, Madison, in 1985.
Education, Licensure & Certifications
- PhD in Nursing, University of Colorado Health Science Center 2007
- Master's in Nursing, University of Maryland at Baltimore 1992
- Bachelor's in Nursing, University of Wisconsin, Madison 1985
- AJN Annual Book award, Trauma Nursing, 1st place category: Critical Care-Emergency Nursing 2020
- DAISY Award for Extraordinary Nursing Faculty 2020
- Dean’s teaching award, University of Colorado, College of Nursing Aurora, CO 2018
- Board of Directors, American Association of Critical Care Nurses 2016-2019
- Research Poster Award, American Burn Association 48th Annual Meeting 2016
- Nightingale Luminary Honoree, Colorado AHEC 2015
- Research Manuscript Award, Journal of PeriAnesthesia Nursing 2015
- Magnet Nurse of the Year Award, University of Colorado Hospital 2014
- JWOCN Clinical Manuscript Award, WOCN Association 2013
- Fellow, National Academies of Practice 2013
- Fellow, American Academy of Nursing 2012
- Kathryn Smith Lastreto Mentor Award, Sigma Theta Tau, Alpha Kappa At Large 2012
- Wound Ostomy and Continence Nurses Society & 3M Excellence in Skin Safety Award, honorable mention, WOCN 2012
- Outstanding Research Award, Sigma Theta Tau, Alpha Kappa At Large 2010
- Dean’s Teaching Award, University of Colorado College of Nursing 2010
- Chancellor’s Teaching Award, University of Colorado College of Nursing 2009
- Innovations in Evidence-Based Practice, National Nursing Staff Development Organization 2007
- Colorado Patient Safety Awards, Colorado Coalition Patient Safety Network 2006
- Chancellor’s Teaching Award, University of Colorado Health Sciences Center School of Nursing 2004
- NurseWeek Finalist Innovation and Creativity in Nursing, Nurse Week 2003
- President's Teaching Award, University of Colorado Health Sciences Center School of Nursing 2002
- World Class Care Award, University of Colorado Hospital 2002
- Mentoring and Development Award, Department of Professional Resources, University of Colorado Hospital 2002
- Dean’s Teaching Award, University of Colorado Health Sciences Center School of Nursing 2001
- NTI Planning Committee, AACN National Task Force NTI Work Group 1997-1998
- Nominee, Colorado Nightingale Award 1997
- Citation of Excellence in Nursing Education, Bayfront Medical Center 1993
- Citation of Excellence in Research, Shock Trauma Clinical Institute MIEMMS 1991
- Federal Nursing Traineeship for Graduate Education, University of Maryland at Baltimore 1990-1991
- 2015-present - The Daisy Foundation Grant Reviewer
- 2015 - American Association of Critical Care Nurses, Evidence-Based Practice Task Force
- 2015-present - National Association of Clinical Nurse Specialists
- 2015-present - Clinical Nurse Specialist Journal. Peer manuscript reviewer
- 2014 - American Association of Critical Care Nurses. Research Grant Proposal Reviewer.
- 2014-2018 - American Association of Critical Care Nurses. Practice Alert, Task Force Committee
- 2013-2015 - University of Colorado Hospital and University of Colorado School of Medicine, Clinical Effectiveness and Patient Safety Small Grants Program, Committee Member
- 2013-present - Journal of PeriAnesthia Nursing Peer manuscript reviewer
- 2012-present - American Association of Critical Care Nurses. Abstract Reviewer, Research and Evidence-Based Abstracts.
- 2012-present - The Council for the Advancement of Nursing Science (Member)
- 2011-2013 - American Association of Critical Care Nurses. ACNCP/CCNS Virtual Exam Development Reviewer
- 2010-2014 - American Association of Critical Care Nurses-Ambassador
- 2010-present - American Nurses Association (Member)
- 2010-2017 - Wound, Ostomy and Continence Nurses Society (Member)
- 2008-present - Editorial Board Member, AACN Advanced Critical Care Journal
- 2005-2007 - Board Director at Large of Alpha Kappa Chapter at Large; Sigma Theta Tau International.
- 2005-2009 - National Nursing Staff Development Organization (Member)
- 2002-2005 - International Transplant Nurses Association (ITNS) and Colorado Transplant Nurses Association (CTNS) (Member)
- 2000-2002 - Editorial Board Critical Care Nurse
- 2000-2016 - Continuing Education Editorial Board NurseWeek
- 1994-present - Denver Chapter of AACN (Member)
- 1991-1994 - Metropolitan Orlando Chapter of AACN (Member)
- 1989-1991 - Chesapeake Bay Chapter of AACN (Member)
- 1989-present - American Journal of Nursing, AACN Advanced Critical Care, and Critical Care Nurse (Peer manuscript reviewer)
- 1985-present - Sigma Theta Tau International (Member)
- 1994-present - STTI: Alpha Kappa Chapter at Large (Member)
- 1993-2008 - American Burn Association (Member)
- 1990-present - Society of Critical Care Medicine (Member)
- 1987-present - American Association of Critical Care Nurses (Member)